The B. E. Vedeneev VNIIG is the successor of the state enterprise of "B. E. Vedeneev All-Union research institute of hydraulic engineering". The institute was founded in 1921 by a Decree of the Soviet of people's commissars of the RSFSR to solve reclamation and warter-management problems and was named "Scientific-reclamation institute". The specialists of the institute took an active part in implementation of the GOELRO plan. The scientific development works formed the basis for creation of Volkhovskaya, Dneprovskaya, Svirskaya, Nivskaya, Dzoragete and other HPPs.
After reorganization and incorporation of a number of scientific-research divisions in 1931 the institute was named "Research institute of hydraulic engineering" and became the leading scientific-research organization of the country in hydraulic power engineering and construction. In 1940 the institute received the status of the All-Union institute and in 1946 it was awarded the name of academician B. E. Vedeneev by the regulation of the Council of ministers of the USSR.
The B. E. Vedeneev VNIIG is one of the largest research centers of Russia, its primary task being scientific-research, promotion and development in the field of hydraulic, power, industrial and civil engineering and water management.
The most significant achievements of the institute comprise participation in creation and development of the theoretical basis of the modern science of hydraulic engineering: engineering hydraulics and theory of groundwater flows; general methods of solution of problems of elasticity theory; general principles of design of hydraulic concrete; theory of thermostressed states of elastic-creeping materials; fracture mechanics; theory of rock and soil mechanics in foundations of hydraulic structures; research of engineering structures of soil materials, concrete and reinforced concrete structures.
The theoretical and experimental researches of the institute formed the basis for substantiation of the designs and rules of operation of hydraulic, hydropower, water-management facilities built in various natural and climatic conditions: over 160 hydropower plants (Bratskaya, Krasnoyarskaya, Kolymskaya, Sayano-Shushenskaya, Bureiskaya etc.), over 60 thermal and nuclear power plants (Kostromskaya, Surgutskaya and other GRES; Anadyrskaya, Magadanskaya, Khabarovskaya and other TPP; Rostovskaya, Tatarskaya, Rovenskaya APP). The institute carried out research in the process of design and construction of a number of foreign power and water-management facilities.
Since the 60-ies of the last century the institute has been the head organization for development of regulatory-methodological documentation (SNiP, GOST, VSN, manuals, Recommendations etc.). The institute is currently the head developer of the Federal law "Special technical regulations "On safety of hydraulic structures".
In the late 80-ies the VNIIG started work on validation of the projects of structures on the continental shelf, including platforms and terminals for oil production and gas extraction that are to take loads from ice-field twitches, waves, wind, currents and seismic forces in the process of construction and operation of the structures.
On 16.12.71 in connection with the 50th anniversary of the institute the VNIIG was awarded the Red Banner of Labour for services in development of hydraulic and power engineering. In 1975 - 1989 the team of the institute was marked off ten times and was entered on the All-Union board of honour for outstanding achievements in implementation of state scientific-technical programs.
During the entire existence of the VNIIG a significant role was given to coordination of the efforts of the Russian scientific-technical potential. In 1958 the regulation of the Government approved of the VNIIG as the head organization in charge of development of the most essential scientific problems and coordination of research work under five-year scientific-technical programs of "Hydraulic power construction". Performing the head functions in the field the institute regularly held coordination meetings and conferences. Continuing these traditions the VNIIG has recently taken an active part in organization and holding of the First (1996, Saint-Petersburg), Second (2001, Saint-Petersburg) and third (2005, Zhigulevsk) meetings of hydraulic power specialists of Russia. In December 2005 on the basis of the VNIIG there was organized and conducted the first and in October 2006 the second scientific-technical conference "Hydraulic power engineering. New developments and technologies".
By the results of the certification audit of the quality management system conducted by the Вureau Veritas Quality International the institute has had the international certificate of conformity to ISO 2001-2000 standard for several years and works according to this system.
The recent years of work of the VNIIG have been characterized by steady growth of the volume of the performed work, increased demand for scientific-technical development works of the institute and entry on the market of sales of scientific-technical products.
The outstanding scientists (who have worked at the institute) that have made a special contribution to creation and development of scientific schools and large engineering solutions for Russian power engineering are: academician Pavlovsky N. N., academician Galerkin B. G., corresponding member Florin V. A., Zegzhda A. P., Levy I. I., Maslov G. N., Voinovich P. A., Puzyrevsky N. P., Rakhmanov A. N., Basevich A. Z., Chugaev R. R., Evdokimov P. D.