27.04.2018
printable version
RSS

RusHydro aims to reduce direct greenhouse gas emissions by 6.1% through 2025

April 27, 2018. Moscow, Russia. PJSC RusHydro (ticker symbol: MOEX, LSE: HYDR; OTCQX: RSHYY) announces that the company is planning to achieve more than 6% reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (GHG emissions) by 2025 compared to 2015*. GHG intensity of electricity and heat production is expected to decrease by 7.7% and 6.4%, respectively.


RusHydro’s management has set these targets in accordance with implementation of key tasks aimed at compliance with environmental requirements and sustainable development criteria approved in September 2017 as well as following the roadmap of greenhouse gas emissions reduction by Russian state-owned companies.


Boris Bogush, RusHydro’s Member of the Management Board, First Deputy Director General — Chief Engineer, commented: “Reduction of GHG emissions will be achieved following replacement of obsolete fossil fuel power plants in the Russian Far East by new cleaner capacity currently in construction, increased efficiency of existing facilities, commissioning of new hydropower capacity in the Far East and implementation of solar and wind projects”.


Setting GHG target reflects RusHydro’s commitment to high standards of environmental responsibility as well as acknowledging its role, as one of the largest generating companies in Russia, in combatting climate change.


RusHydro is committed to development of RES projects. The company is running 19 solar power plants, three geothermal plants, four wind farms, one tidal plant and 30 small hydropower plants. Three solar plants in Yakutia and small hydropower plant in Karachayevo-Cherkesiya have been commissioned in 2017. Currently five small hydropower plants in the North Caucasus and a wind power plant in Arctic region of Yakutia are under construction.


RusHydro is the leader of renewable energy in Russia and one of top-20 clean generation companies worldwide. Hydropower fleet represents approximately 80% of total RusHydro Group’s generation capacity. Remaining 20% of capacity are mostly fossil fuel electricity and thermal power plants, located in the Far East of Russia.


According to expert assessment output of RusHydro’s hydropower plants prevents GHG emissions of 100 mn tonnes of СО2-equivalent per year. In addition, field research and preliminary result of mathematical modeling conducted by scientists lead to finding that hydropower plants reservoirs in Russia actually absorb GHG from the atmosphere, thus helping to combat climate change.


The company is continuously striving to better comply with sustainable development criteria and cooperates with such organizations as Climate Partnership of Russia, Russian-Chinese Environmental Council, International Hydropower Association, and International Commission on Large Dams. RusHydro has joined UN Global Compact in 2017.


*2015 was recommended by the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation as base year for implementation roadmap of greenhouse gas emissions reduction by Russian state-owned companies.
The information in this press release may contain projections or other forward-looking statements regarding future events or the future financial performance of RusHydro. You can identify forward looking statements by terms such as "expect," "believe," "anticipate," "estimate," "intend," "will," "could," "may" or "might," the negative of such terms or other similar expressions. We wish to caution you that these statements are only predictions and that actual events or results may differ materially from these statements. We do not intend to update these statements to reflect events and circumstances occurring after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Many factors could cause the actual results to differ materially from those contained in our projections or forward-looking statements, including, among others, general economic conditions, our competitive environment, risks associated with operating in Russia, rapid technological and market change in our industries, as well as many other risks specifically related to RusHydro and its operations.
Your application has been accepted. The answer will be prepared and sent within 20 calendar days. ok