04.10.2018
printable version
RSS

RusHydro adopted new Environmental policy

October 4, 2018. Moscow, Russia. PJSC RusHydro (ticker symbol: MOEX, LSE: HYDR; OTCQX: RSHYY) announces that the company has adopted new edition of its Environmental Policy approved by RusHydro’s Board of Directors in August 2018. 

The policy provides for increase in low-carbon power generation capacity, reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions both in absolute terms and in terms of GHG intensity, protection of biodiversity and increased awareness of the Group’s employees of environmental issues. 

By 2025, RusHydro Group aims to add 632.3 MW of low-carbon power generation capacity, reduce GHG intensity of electricity generation by 7.7% and GHG intensity of heat generation by 6.4% . 

The new version of the Environmental policy reflects modern challenges and trends in protection of environment. The document incorporates recommendations of the Ministry of Energy, the Ministry of Economic Development and Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, as well as United Nations sustainable development goals. Environmental policy received approval from various stakeholders in the course of public hearings, featuring representatives of WWF Russia, Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP), UC RUSAL, JSC EuroSibEnergo, PJSC Rosseti, Lomonosov Moscow State University and other relevant organizations. 

Compliance with the Environmental policy will become mandatory for all companies of - RusHydro Group as well as RusHydro’s contractors. 

Boris Bogush, RusHydro’s Member of the Management Board, First Deputy Director General — Chief Engineer, commented: “The Environmental policy defines main principles, objectives and priorities in the field of nature management and environmental protection. Adoption of the new policy reflects RusHydro’s commitment to best practices of sustainable development”. 

The Company is actively developing renewable energy sources (RES) and is running 20 solar power plants, 3 geothermal plants, 4 wind farms and 30 small hydropower plants. Currently, 5 small hydropower plants in the North Caucasus and a wind power plant in the Arctic region of Yakutia are under construction. 

RusHydro is the leader of renewable energy in Russia and one of top-20 clean generation companies worldwide . Hydropower fleet represents approximately 80% of total RusHydro Group’s generation capacity, remaining 20% of capacity are mostly fossil fuel e power plants in the Far East of Russia. 

According to expert assessment, combined output of RusHydro’s hydropower plants prevents GHG emissions of 100 mn tonnes of СО2-equivalent per year. In addition, field research and preliminary result of mathematical modeling bring evidence that hydropower plants reservoirs in temperate climate absorb GHG from the atmosphere, thus helping combat climate change. 

The company is continuously striving to better comply with sustainable development criteria and cooperates with such organizations as Climate Partnership of Russia, Russian-Chinese Environmental Council, International Hydropower Association, and International Commission on Large Dams. RusHydro has joined UN Global Compact in 2017 and the National Network of Global Compact in 2018.
The information in this press release may contain projections or other forward-looking statements regarding future events or the future financial performance of RusHydro. You can identify forward looking statements by terms such as the negative of such terms or other similar expressions. We wish to caution you that these statements are only predictions and that actual events or results may differ materially from these statements. We do not intend to update these statements to reflect events and circumstances occurring after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Many factors could cause the actual results to differ materially from those contained in our projections or forward-looking statements, including, among others, general economic conditions, our competitive environment, risks associated with operating in Russia, rapid technological and market change in our industries, as well as many other risks specifically related to RusHydro and its operations.
Your application has been accepted. The answer will be prepared and sent within 20 calendar days. ok